A lot of people have asked me, "what is your secret to looking young?" My real secret is . . . I'll tell you later in the article.
Here are the top ten things you can do to help you look and feel younger.
Number 10 - Exercise
I can't emphasize enough how important exercise is. It aids in your digestion. It keeps your circulatory system (heart and blood) working efficiently. Exercise also keeps your joints lubricated so they'll move without pain. Of coarse there are the right and wrong ways to exercise. If you have any questions, please email me and together we can get an exercise program that will work for you. Exercise must be fun or else you won't do it.
Number 9 - Eat Well
A good rule of thumb—eat healthy 80% of the time, the other 20% have your beer and pizza. Your body is like a car engine. It only runs as good as the fuel you put in it. Take natural supplements if needed.
Number 8 - Stretch
If you have ever watched a dog or cat, you have seen that they stretch as soon as they get up after lying down for a while. We should take our cues from them. By stretching we warm up our muscles and get them ready for the day's activities.
Number 7 - Drink Plenty of Water
An average build person should drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. When exercising, drink more. Do not chug a big glass—that has a negative effect on your kidneys. Taking small sips throughout the day is the best way to take in water.
Number 6 - Practice Good Posture
Deep breathing helps to cleanse your lungs and body of pollutants and helps your organs function as they were designed too. Plus, you look younger when you stand up straight.
Number 5 - Detox Regularly
With all the toxins and pollutants in the air and food we eat, our bodies need to get rid of them. We are exposed to over 70,000 toxic chemicals every week.
Number 4 - Sleep
You should get eight hours of sleep every night.
Number 3 - Think Positive
Think young to look and stay young.
Number 2 - Nerves
The purpose of the nervous system is to control and regulate all the other systems of the body. Your nervous system is like the spark plugs in your car. If they are misfiring your car will not run at its maximum performance. You can put the best gas in it, you can make it shine, you can put new tires on it but it will still run terrible. Same with your body, if your nervous system is being impinged you will not perform at your maximum potential.
My Number One Way to Look Young - This is my real secret.
Many of you probably guessed it. I'm embarrassed to say I used an old picture. I will upgrade my picture in the next issue.
Until next time, have a healthy, happy, fun-filled month.
Yours for Better Health, Dr. (Bob) Robert Swain